Job Title: Junior Research Fellow (IP)
Department: Strathmore Law School – Centre for Intellectual Property and Information Technology Law (CIPIT)
Reporting to: Director, CIPIT
Basic job Summary: The purpose of the Research Fellow is to develop Intellectual Property-related research objectives, projects and proposals, to undertake research, and to evaluate outcomes. The Research Fellow will plan, coordinate and implement research programmes in accordance with University strategy, policy and procedures and funder requirements. The fellow is required primarily to oversee Phase III of the OpenAIR Project (see http://www.openair.org.za) at CIPIT. This research focuses on technology and IP in the African context with heavy focus on the use or non-use of patents as a tool for companies, innovators, and entrepreneurs. Substantial collaboration is expected between the Research Fellow and other OpenAIR researchers in Africa and Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for assisting CIPIT Director as well as;
· Primarily responsible for carrying out OpenAIR research activities at CIPIT, including preparation of research papers, reports, timelines, traveling to conferences, etc.
· Act as principal investigator or co-investigator on IP research projects.
· Develop IP research objectives, projects and proposals.
· Organizing project-related events including workshops, report launches, etc.
· Coordinate the CIPIT blog on IP, including contributing articles and reviewing guest posts.
· Write and edit various publications, and assist with communication of research reports.
· Attending events on behalf of CIPIT.
· Other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
· Master’s degree in law in Intellectual Property, or an equivalent educational background.
· Proven academic track record and a strong publication record.
· Relevant experience in IP research.
· Possess sufficient specialist knowledge in the discipline of IP law/policy to develop research
programmes and methodologies.
· Special consideration will be given for national or international recognition as an authority in the subject area.
· Experience of managing research projects and teams.
· Proficiency in cloud platforms especially Dropbox and Google Docs.
· Understanding of developments in IP.
Due to the large number of applications we may receive, kindly note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.